Port float continues; daggerboard case continues

Got a good amount of work done today. We started out getting the port float outside face ready to laminate

1921

… and proceeded to laminate it

1925
1928

You’ll notice some buckets of fairing compound under the keel in this shot, it’s keeping the shape of the foam for the port side of the daggerboard case – got this all cut and worked on it while the float was curing

1931

No pictures of the in-between, as it was rather time-consuming and a little on the messy side…

1938

I probably should have listened to my gut for this part and used packaging tape for the release instead of a bag like with the starboard side. There are some visible wrinkles on the inside surface that need to get sanded out. No biggie, as the plan is to sand it and primer / paint it before joining the halves together.

By this time, the float has cured enough to flip over and grind off the fiberglass threads on the keel and get ready to laminate the inside face

1941

… and I’m sure you can guess what happened next …

1947

Now that the day is almost completely over (evident by the background light, or lack thereof) – the resin used for the daggerboard case has finally cured to a stage where it can be taken out of the bag

1944

Whew… long day… tomorrow will be spent cleaning up the float, cutting access hatches to back-fill the foam with bog, and patching a small area of the deck where I “mis-guessed” drilling an access hole to see where something was inside… I have no excuse for this except sometimes I just don’t think 🙂 Will remove some foam, glue in another piece and patch (probably under vacuum for less fairing)…

Maybe by the end of tomorrow some fairing compound will be on the deck…?

Time spent: 10.5 hours

Starboard side of daggerboard case

I built the mold for the daggerboard case at a friend’s house earlier in the week. Turned out good, if I say so myself.

1894

Marked all cut-lines and reference lines accordingly…. Even decided to properly color-code it in case I was half asleep while laminating.

1898

Dry-fit the foam with HD inserts in place

1901

And did my first vacuum bag (after a late-night run for some felt to use as breather)

1904

I used my resin infusion epoxy for this since it had the longer pot life and was VERY thin for an easy wet-out. It produced a wonderful part, but I still prefer the cleanliness of infusion.

1910

I did make a small error when laying an extra layer of fabric and am a bit concerned about it. We’ll see what Ian’s opinion is and if I need to worry, if I can salvage the piece, or if I need to scrap it and make another (hope not!)

Touched up a few areas on the float, and dad did most of the deck during the week. No pictures of that right now. It looks the same as the other float, only different. 🙂

Time spent: 10 hours