Cockpit work and starting on the forward beam mounts

Categories: Main Hull

Been slow going, but I took this week off from work to hopefully get “caught up” on things.

Last time we managed to get the forward beam compression area formed up and laminated

[singlepic id=26 w=320 h=240 mode=watermark float=]

[singlepic id=27 w=320 h=240 mode=watermark float=]

This was relatively straight-forward after confirming with Ian that the portion of the former that protrudes into the hull can be sanded more “flush” with the interior before laminating.   The former is cut straight (90 degrees) relative to the beam mount, but the interior has an angle at this area.

Took some “core samples” of the cockpit area by drilling the drain holes for the two “wet” compartments we’ll have and cutting out an area for the safety hatch (went with 8″ Beckson)

[singlepic id=29 w=320 h=240 mode=watermark float=]

[singlepic id=30 w=320 h=240 mode=watermark float=]

Finally, dad built the mold for the companion-way area and we laminated that with peel-ply on the inside (on top of the taped wood mold) since grinding that would prove difficult (or impossible).  Also put peel-ply on the outside.

[singlepic id=28 w=320 h=240 mode=watermark float=]

Decided to pull the mold out while the epoxy was still slightly “green” – was a good idea since it was a difficult release.  The bottom mold is still in place until cured as I’ll need to trim the fiberglass first since it covered up the screws (oops).  We’ve decided to let the flange go down further than the plans specify to give an area to route wiring if needed.  Will do the inside part of the lamination either later tonight or tomorrow morning.