Finishing up second float half

Categories: Floats Misc Boat

The second float half is complete and ready to be released from the mold with the exception of the chainplate installation, which I sent an email to Ian Farrier about earlier today to try and clear up a few questions that I have to make sure I follow the intended instructions properly.  This can be done without the float half in the mold, however, and I plan on doing this portion after the halves have been joined since there will still be other work to do after joining – I don’t want to hinder process in de-molding and reversing the frames to make the last two halves.

All bulkheads were taped into place


The foam “bed” for the chainplate was glued together and weight placed on top until dried


I released one of the deck mold pieces in order to cut the location hole for the chainplate.  I am VERY pleased with how this deck-flange looks compared to the first float half.  Am going to use the DBM on the other two as well.  I realize it uses a little more epoxy and will be slightly heavier, but I cannot ignore how much easier it is to work on this particular area.


Took three layers of foam laid long-ways (so the curve did not interfere with placement) to guage the height for the chainplate exit.  Tested fitment to verify aftwards


Assuming weather holds enough to pull the float out of the mold (have to walk it outside some and then re-enter the garage to put it up on ceiling) – should be able to pull it out first thing in the morning and start reversing frames and begin planking the third half.  Should go much quicker on the next two, though I’m not sure how well they will join together.  I’m a bit concerned about the transom area, but time will tell how much we’ll need to pull things together for a good fit.

On a side note, today we emptied the first 45lbs container of part A.  Still have some left in a smaller container – more than enough to put the chainplate and laminations over it.  I’m hoping we will come close to Ian’s material estimate of 90lbs resin for the two floats.  Right now we have two inside skins, all bulkheads, half filleting and half taping complete.  The next two inside skins will not use too much resin, and then just filleting and taping the inside.  After they are stuck together, I get to pull out the heavier fabric for the external skin.  Before that happens, I’ll need to create the internal beam support structure, but more importantly, make room in the garage to create the float decks.

It should get even more interesting over the next few weeks

Time spent: 7 hours